CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Saggy loafs

Okay, I don't really want to talk about it. I'm feeling deflated and unable to rise to the occasion of breadmaking. :) Yes, it's true. I'm 0/2 and I'm feeling like I may never be able to get this right.
So this loaf was my first attempt at making bread since my best breadmaking friend taught a group of us how to grind wheat and make fresh bread. The truth is, her husband never has to eat store bought bread because she's such a baking wizard. How can a woman compete with that? If you think the husbands don't compare bread loafs, well, you're wrong!
This attempt was marginal. I didn't let it rise long enough (or so Janel diagnosed). I think I added too much flour too. But, I made my family eat it for dinner anyway. At least it was edible, though heavy as a boulder.

And then today came these beauties. Okay, so I whipped out another batch of dough today. It was perfectly sticky and so much better than my dough yesterday. I thought I'd try Janel's "quick" method. So I turned on the oven and let it heat up. Then I turned it off and put my loafs in to rise. And this is what I got. Saggy loafs. How embarrasing.


So Shane says, "So, Aimee, what's up with your loafs?" I didn't want to talk about it so I pretended I didn't hear his question. I should have disposed of the evidence before he saw it. My mistake. So for all of you new "bread making fools" out there, I hope reading this blog makes you feel much better about your skills. Natasha informed me at dinner last night that Alisa's "so good" at making bread. Apparently Brendon doesn't eat store bought bread now either.

I didn't even buy bread at the store this week because I was going to make loafs of wonderfully light, tasty and moist wheat bread for my family to munch. Well, the dream lives on. Perhaps one day.

2 comments:

janel said...

This is my first comment on any blog EVER- but I just couldn't resist this one! Don't worry Aims, I have had my fair share of bombs. And keep in mind that I started baking bread weekly when I was about 12. Don't give up! It will be so worth it when you get it down!

Tueller Family said...

I am sooooo not the bread making queen! Brendon thinks anything is better than the $.78 loaf from Walmart. I have made bread about 4times, and I really have only had one loaf look good. Mine don't rise very well either. I don't get it. I am going to try again today. I AM going to master this! You can do it, stick with it. Tell Shane there is nothing wrong with your loaves, and he should appreciate the loaves you have! :)